Monday, August 18, 2014

A Failure to Share


     I didn't do anything on my 30 before 30 list this week. I did, however, graduate from college, finish working at my wonderful internship, and turn 26. So - it's been a productive week nonetheless. I've started enjoying this new thing called "sleep". I don't know why I haven't been doing that for the past few years, but it is glorious!

     Anyway, today's post will be short. I wanted to share a sketch I wrote last year for Studio C that never made it into the show. I like it a lot, but we didn't use it for at least one big reason: it's not really a sketch. It's more of a play - a very, very short, one act/one scene, short short play.  

     As much as I like it, I doubt it will ever see the light of day. And that's okay. It makes for decent blog content (hopefully). In a strange way, I never really thought of this piece as a failure. Yes - I wrote it for a show that didn't want it. But who cares? I don't. In my mind, this piece turned into a labor of love. 

   Here it is:

INT. DINER - DAY

Enter Adam. He sits at the counter. Whitney is a waitress. The conversation is very snappy. Whitney moves around the diner, working.
WHIT
You’re back.

ADAM
They said it couldn’t be done, but here I am.
WHIT
They?

ADAM
Who?
WHIT
Who said it couldn’t be done?

ADAM
Ah. Yes. The cosmic forces that say things. Ghosts probably.

WHIT
Ghosts said you couldn’t come back to the diner?

ADAM
They’re just jealous of how many burgers I eat.

WHIT
I’m sure your arteries could convince them of how big of a mistake that is.

ADAM
But they won’t be saying much with their mouths so full of fat and all.

WHIT
Your arteries have mouths?

ADAM
Sure. I’m no scientist.

WHIT

The usual then?
ADAM
One artery clogging burger for me, but don’t tell the ghosts.
WHIT
Coming up.

Whit scribbles a note and passes it to the cook.
ADAM
Speaking of pale entities who tell you what to do, how’s your mother?

WHIT
Far away. And you sure know a lot about my personal life for a customer.

ADAM
I’d like to think our relationship transcends the customer-server level.

WHIT
This is you trying to get a free coke, right?

ADAM
Spot on. As a waitress, you must have some sort of sixth sense that tells you what I’m craving.

WHIT
Seventh sense, actually. I see dead people.

ADAM
The ghosts?

WHIT
Different people. They don’t like you either.

ADAM
Sometimes I think I’m too handsome.

WHIT
You couldn’t hear it, but they all started booing.

Stephen raises his hand to flag Whit.
WHIT (CONT’D)
I gotta go help someone.

ADAM
So this is a bad time to try and ask you out again?

Whitney approaches Stephen’s booth.
WHIT
I cannot go out with you.

STEPHEN
Me?

WHIT
What? No.

ADAM
So you’ll go out with this guy, but not me.

WHIT
I’m not going out with anyone.

ADAM
So you ARE available.

WHIT
How can I help you?

STEPHEN
(hesitant) Would you want to go out?

WHIT
No, thank you. Can I get you some ketchup or something?

STEPHEN
Yes, please.

ADAM
There’s that seventh sense kicking in again.

WHIT
You’re cute, but I don’t know anything about you.

ADAM
What do you want to know? I’m an open book - an open textbook: insightful but boring.

WHIT
Do we have to do this now? I’m working.

ADAM
I’d like to do it over dinner, but you want to get to know me before you get to know me.

WHIT
Excuse me for not dating strangers. For all I know, you could be a serial killer.

ADAM
You’ve been talking to too many dead people.

WHIT
(frustrated) Michael.

ADAM
My name’s Roger.

WHIT
What?

ADAM
Just kidding. It is Michael. See? You do know something about me.

WHIT
Sometimes I want to wring your neck until all your sarcasm falls out.

ADAM
Sounds deadly.

WHIT
Let’s find out.

ADAM
Now who sounds like the serial killer?

The cook puts up Adam’s order and rings the bell.
WHIT
Here’s your burger. With any luck, this’ll be the one that kills you. Maybe then you’ll stop bothering me.

ADAM
I’ll just come back and haunt you. Then I’ll never stop asking you out.

WHIT
Fine!

ADAM
What?

WHIT
I’ll go out with you.

Beat.
ADAM
Those ghosts are going to be really jealous.

Give me the GOOSHburger, no pickles.


    And that's it! "Goosh", by the way, is a made up word of unknown origins. We all started using it in Divine Comedy to end a sketch. Now it's tradition. Also - after presenting this to the writers room, someone gave me a rather fine compliment saying that it felt like Aaron Sorkin's writing. As someone who looks up to Aaron a lot, I was very flattered. So flattered, in fact, that I did not mention that I was trying to emulate another writer: Amy Sherman-Paladino. I may have binged on Gilmore Girl youtube clips before writing this. That'll be our little secret.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Great Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And congratulations for graduating! ������������

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Adam. and congrats on graduation. What a creepy comment i don't even try... It must be a ghost in my head. LOL like the sketch too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow Gilmore Girls binge watcher, I think you succeeded. Because I was thinking it read like a Gilmore Girls dialogue before I even reached the end. *applause* @caiti_christy

    ReplyDelete